Over 75 firefighters were needed to extinguish the heavy flames. Neighbors called 911 to report the fire, Piringer said. Damage is estimated at over $600,000, and two adult residents have been displaced.
Piringer stressed the importance of properly disposing of fireplace ashes. Place them in a metal container with a lid, and never in a cardboard box, plastic trash can or bag. Once filled, place the container outside away from your house, or any combustible material. Never place ashes in the garage.
Photo: Pete Piringer/MCFRS